1.22.2012

first loaf



I've been reading The Kind Diet and really enjoying the idea of exploring a vegan lifestyle. I've been off pork and red meat for four years now, and decided to give up poultry for the new year. I can't call myself a vegetarian just yet, because I'm still consuming seafood, which will be the last and most difficult hurdle to overcome, but I'm taking baby steps to get there. As I read The Kind Diet, it's shifting my thoughts towards food and weening me away from processed foods as well.

One type of processed food I find particularly upsetting is bread. Brian and I both enjoy our share of peanut butter sandwiches and bahn mi, and after reading the ingredients for something as simple as a hoagie roll, it was quite discerning. So last night, I finally took my hand at bread making, something I've shied away from due to the complexities with baking at higher altitudes. Any how, with the combination of several recipes, I baked an 'artisan' bread using just four ingredients, all vegan.

Brian and I ripped through the bread, enjoying it fresh from the oven. It was surprisingly delicious: crispy on the outside and chewy inside. I couldn't be more pleased with the results and am excited to start exploring other types of breads, particularly raisin cinnamon varieties.

No comments:

Post a Comment